Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Review: The Moon Dwellers by David Estes

Title: The Moon Dwellers (The Dwellers #1)
Author: David Estes
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (Ebook/Paperback)
Release Date: June 30th 2012
Find on: AmazonGoodreads

Quick Review: In a desperate attempt to escape destruction decades earlier, humankind was forced underground, into the depths of the earth, creating a new society called the Tri-Realms. 

After her parents and sister are abducted by the Enforcers, seventeen-year-old Adele, a member of the middle-class moon dwellers, is unjustly sentenced to life in prison for her parents' crimes of treason.

Against all odds, Adele must escape from the Pen and find her family, while being hunted by a deranged, killing machine named Rivet, who works for the President. She is helped by two other inmates, Tawni and Cole, each of whom have dark secrets that are better left undiscovered. Other than her friends, the only thing she has going for her is a wicked roundhouse kick and two fists that have been well-trained for combat by her father.

At the other end of the social spectrum is Tristan, the son of the President and a sun dweller. His mother is gone. He hates his father. Backed by only his servant and best friend, Roc, he leaves his lavish lifestyle in the Sun Realm, seeking to make something good out of his troubled life.

When a war breaks out within the Tri-Realms, Tristan is thrust into the middle of a conflict that seems to mysteriously follow Adele as she seeks to find her family and uncover her parents true past.

In their world, someone must die.


Detailed Review:  I really liked this book - it's one of my favourite (e)books that sit on my 'virtual' shelf in iBook. I thought The Moon Dwellers was really fascinating, exciting and a heart stopper that made me really twitchy whenever the main protagonists met together! David Estes has written this wonderful book that made me start thinking about his newest book, The Sun Dwellers (The Dwellers #3) (which I can't wait to read) in a whole new path of adventure, fiction and action! 

The story is mainly about two people who are called Adele and Tristan. One is the daughter of The Moon and the other is the son of The Sun (exaggeration!) but each hold a destiny. It's interesting how Adele and Tristan first see each other...

'He's waving at his adoring fans, smiling his mesmerizing smile, when he looks at me. Right at me, like his eyes are gun sights and I am their target. Despite the distance, it's like they pierce me to my very soul, sending waves of energy up my back, through my neck, slamming into my brain like a sledge hammer. 
"Arrr!" I cry out, flinching  I tear my eyes away from him and settle my head in my hands, massaging my pounding temples.'

I thought this part was really interesting. When I read through this part I was like, "What in the world is happening to Adele?!?" I was practically bouncing up and down, trying to think why she acted that way to Tristan. Until finally I realize that I will get the answer... NOT. I read through The Moon Dwellers and found no answer. 

YET. 

ADELE; She's definitely a fighter, this one. Adele was seriously cool and when I finally finished the story, I read the acknowledgement part (yeah, you're wondering why but some readers just do that) then I saw this: 'First, I'd like to thank my wife, Adele, for letting me use her name...' SO now you know why our author, David Estes has chosen this name! But I have to say, Adele was all badass when she killed - (Whoops, spoiler here! Keepin' my mouth shut for this one). 

TRISTAN; He's a boy who's grown up living in a huge castle, kicking his brother under the table, training to fight like every prince would be like. But - He's the Prince of Sun Dwellers. The enemy of both Moon and Star. Until - he sees Adele for the first time... 

TAWNI; A friend of Adele's, she's the one holding the group together until everyone falls apart - including herself. She's friendly, dainty and has pure snow-white hair.  Every since then, the girl has journeyed with Adele, Tristan and the others who follow with them to the light and the defeat of The Sun Dwellers dominion. 

ROC; Butler, servant, friend - (the next best thing is...) Who is Roc really? Well, you have to wait and see as Tristan's best friend (only friend as Roc puts it) as he travels with Tristan to stand with his friend in battle, death and possibly in the new world where Tristan will rule. He's sweet, sarcastic and has a killer sense of humour which makes the reader much more entertained. 

COLE; Is he really a killer? or... Is he really the friend that Adele knew? Well, I think Cole was a really good character but of course something unfortunate has happen (Not saying!) it makes me feel really horrible cause Cole was one of my fav characters that I chose to review (which I'm apparently doing right now). Cole was really nice, awesome and has some mean fighting skills including paying other guys to do some bombing! 

'"Hey, don't I get any votes?" I say. 
"Nah, Tristan and Roc are really fun," Elsey says. 
"And I'm not?" 
"Not as fun as them," she says, grinning. 
"Thanks a lot!" I exclaim, grabbing her and whirling her around. 
"As general," Roc says, "our first order of business is to eat breakfast. Then we'll head over to the Camp of Death and Skulls and Crossbones and all that." 
"The Camp of Blood and Stone," I correct. 
"I think that's what I said," Roc says, chuckling.'

Proof of Roc's sarcasm and all that. I have to say this again: 

THIS BOOK IS SOOO GOOD! 

I think David Estes has a really influential writing that can get a reader stirring. I loved the storyline of how he created these 'tribe-like' worlds where other and another separates each other like a line across the world. 

Well, if you haven't read this book, YOU should! So don't forget to check out the sequel to The Moon Dwellers, The Star Dwellers (The Dwellers #2)

Brief Review: Exciting, heart-stopping and completely thrilling, David Estes's The Moon Dwellers was written in a very detailed way that is able to capture the raw power of The Dwellers!

My Rating: 5/5   "Totally Amazing!" 












Your Reviewer: 

No comments:

Post a Comment